Sunday, July 23, 2006

Home

What do you think of when you hear the word home? What is the very first place that comes to your mind?

I’ve been thinking lately, about what home means. Wondering what makes home home, if that makes sense. Wondering if home is where you were born, or where you grew up, or where you lived the longest, or wherever your family is living, or wherever you are living now. Is home “where your heart is”?

By the definition of most, I am home at the moment, back with my family for the summer. Yet I feel homesick. I have this constant ache to just “go home”. I feel more homesick now that I’m home then I did when I was away. It’s weird. And so I can’t even tell you WHERE it is that I want to go home to.

Sigh.

Maybe home is more of a feeling than a place. A feeling I’ve been missing for a long time...

Or maybe it is a place...
Last summer, I was having a conversation about a little of this with a friend who’s alcoholic father is abusive and who’s family life is rough to say the least. I asked him what he thinks of when he thinks of home. Without a pause, he said “heaven”. I just stared at him. He smiled at me and repeated his answer...”I think of heaven”.

....

“Remind us that we have not reached home. Lord, remind us that we have not reached home....”
- Downhere

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, July 26, 2006 9:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hogar...
Yo quisiera estar ella tembien.

Daniel

 
At Wednesday, August 23, 2006 5:00:00 PM, Blogger Janna said...

Angela.
Hey, me too. I don't know if you knew I have a blog now...but I just checked out yours for the first time. Nice, I am so glad that we can keep in touch better...although now I am wondering if I'll ever email again. :) You should read (if you haven't) my very first post in July...it's about "home" too. Was it William with whom you were talking last summer about "home"?!
love ya
oxo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home